Saturday, April 2, 2016

Ben the Builder


Ben the Builder

Bob has nothing on Ben – the Builder that is. But this Mt Kisco Childcare Afterschooler doesn’t come with a backstory and his loss for words on where his inspiration comes from doesn’t make his work suffer so or put aside the way these little projects make him feel.

“I don’t know how I build these things, but I’m always proud of my creations,” he said.

It’s not hard to see why. “I call this the college science place where everybody becomes really good at science,” he says.



In the clouds, the fictional students in question don’t circumvent his brain center, which definitely leaves the learning up in the air. “The elevator takes you up to the ball where the gravity is switched off,” Ben said. “I call this the loose gravity science bubble.”

So it wouldn’t be inaccurate to say he frequently plucks things out of the air, and suddenly the pieces are on the rise. “Something comes to mind, and I just build it,” says the second grader.
Lego are his foundation of choice. “I’m very creative with them,” he asserts.

The same goes for his specs. “I call this my super plane. It collects a lot of speed when it turns, because it’s powered by air and lets the wind get inside,” he says.



Pride aside, the rewards are on a whirlwind too. “When I do a good job my mom buys me hot wheels,” he says.

As for graduating someday to grownup Benjamin the Builder, the second grader’s tunnel vision stays in the moment.  “I don’t know what I want to be. I only want to be a normal person,” he says. “So I don't know a lot of things. I just know I like Legos and building with them.”


There’s a foundation that leaves plenty to build on.

No comments: